Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Why September is the Best!!

Happy first day of Fall!!!  And yes, that's one of the reasons I love September so much.  I can't say that September is my favorite month, because I love Christmas so much---but it is REALLY close.  September has so many wonderful things in it for me.  As a kid, September marked the beginning of school (we lived on the east coast) and so back-to-school clothes and activities were all very fun, crisp, and fall-like.  There is an excitement in the air around going back to school, seeing your friends, going to football games, wearing cute autumn sweaters and jackets...  Okay I know that that stuff doesn't really happen here in AZ, but old habits die hard and that's what I remember from my childhood.  I remember walking home from the bus stop through HUGE piles of leaves and picking out 3 or 4 of the prettiest ones every day to bring home to my mom.  My mom LOVES leaves--and she passed that love to me.  Every year when I was a kid, we would collect fall leaves for a few weeks and press them in phone books.  Then, when we had enough, we would use glue adhesive to create a beautiful fall collage of leaves in a picture frame.  Every year it was a new piece of art for the wall in our living room and I loved it.  Since the leaves don't change here in AZ and aren't really big enough to create one of these leaf pictures, my mom has kept the last one we made in New Jersey on her wall--even though the colors have faded over the years.

I also love September because my birthday is on the 14th!! Yep, just a week and a half ago I turned 25!!!!!  I can't believe it.  I am a quarter of a century old.  I'm not upset, but it feels weird to not be in my early twenties any more.  I am just in my twenties.  Weird.  However, this birthday ended up being one of the best I have ever had, thanks in large part to my adoring husband.
 The day went like this:

-I woke up in the morning, got wished a Happy Birthday and then was told to wait in bed for awhile.  I could hear Jordan messing around with the wrapping paper stuff down the hall and then doing something in the kitchen.  I quickly deduced (with my new 25 year old sleuthing skills) that Jordan was making me breakfast in bed! That's never happened before and I was very excited.  But no matter how excited I was, I should have been more so, because about 40 minutes later, Jordan came in singing "Happy Birthday" with THIS:
ummm...its okay to be jealous.
Yeah.  I was thinking "eggs and toast." But no...Jordan recreated one of my favorite dishes and made it even better!! Pumpkin chocolate chip french toast with caramelized bananas and nuts.  And can we talk about presentation?!!  It was gorgeous and freaking delicious.  I don't know how I got so lucky but I had perma-smile on my face immediately.  I was super impressed, needless to say.  Then he brought me some funny, thoughtful, and extremely generous gifts before his first voice lesson of the day.
yeah that's Disney princess stuff...what do have to say about it? :)

eating my amazing breakfast

I went to Michael's to spend my $25 dollars Jordan had given me on Fall Decor and pretty much had a ball.  I talked to wonderful friends and family who called or stopped by and then it was Mystery Birthday Date time!! Jordan had planned a date for that evening to go to Brio Tuscan Grille!  It was DELICIOUS and very romantic.  Then we walked around San Tan mall and I found the nude peep toe shoes I have been searching for!! I am very picky when I spend money on shoes and these were not only perfect, but on sale!! We finished the date off with Sea Salt Caramel gelato at Frost and it was pretty much the best day ever.  Thanks to everyone, especially Jordan for making it amazing.  I LOVE HIM!! (below he is at the restaurant--I wish you could have seen his whole outfit--he looked hot.)



So that was my birthday.  Next on the list of awesomeness in September would be the first day of Fall--Today!!!  I have been waiting to decorate my house for the season (Halloween will follow) and here is some of what I've done:












For some reason, I can't add captions today anymore, so go figure.  Pretty self explanatory though.  Very exciting for me.  Plus--my desktop is new, and, as you know, so is my blog background :)

The last thing that is wonderful in September is Jordan and I's anniversary.  That happens this Sunday, the 25th.  This year marks our second year of complete wedded bliss and I am so happy.  I'm sure I'll have more to say on this later, but I couldn't be more grateful to be married to my best friend and to the most perfect man for me!!!!


So there you have it.  September, I hope you appreciate all the love I've just thrown your way and continue to be awesome.  But I know you will :)

6 comments:

  1. YAY! You had a killer birthday, your house looks fabulously fall-y and your anniversary is coming up! September is a wonderful month... after all, we were both born in it. :) Loved this post and the summer post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for Autumnal Bliss! I especially love the shiny (acorns?!) objects scattered about the dining table -- cool chargers, too. I beat you by 2 weeks, though -- I deem it as officially OK to bring out the sheaves of wheat and pumpkins when the temperature is below 100 for the first time. Is that so wrong? I'll hold strong on no Christmas music until after turkey day, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) amazing--only in arizona. And yes, they are acorns. michaels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I'm counting this as an unofficial house tour, until we get to AZ during Thanksgiving - I'll be expecting the real shebang!
    Looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Meags!! You will Definitely get a tour in November.
    We ate some Gekko Grill today on account of its closing :(

    ReplyDelete