Sunday, September 18, 2011

Couchnapping v. Bednapping

Ladies and gentelmen, I'm not talking about the abduction of couches or beds.  I am talking about the beauty of sleeping for a period of time in the daylight hours.  I have not always been a proponent of naps.  It used to be something my dad did, and I rolled my eyes at because it meant we kids had to "be quiet."

Then, I went to college.  I got my degree in musical theatre performance.  Let me tell you a little something about music degrees:  our classes are generally worth about a third of the credit that other classes are.  Which means that to have a full schedule of, say, 18 credit hours, my schedule would include nine classes.  Others took 3 or 4 and had a "full schedule."  These are the students that had time to have jobs.  I did not.  We even had a class (convocation...errrr)  that was required for every semester:  attendance at 6 faculty recitals and four student recitals.  This class was obligatory and was worth..wait for it.... ZERO credit hours.  But I digress.

Suffice it to say, that between my nine classes and the rehearsals for the required shows I was in, I was at school from about 7:30 am to 11:00 pm.  I needed to employ naps to make it through.  It was hard for me though.  I didn't have a bed or a couch, just a ledge by a window on the second floor of the music building.  It was better than nothing, but not ideal for someone like me, who has a hard time sleeping anyway.  One particular semester, I had school from 7 to 4:30 and then I drove to Phoenix for rehearsals/performances of "Thouroughly Modern Millie" at Phoenix Theatre.  I didn't get home until around 11:30.  Once I got to the theatre, there was a couch in the green room.  I learned to employ the "power nap."  I would sleep for about 20-30 minutes, get up, eat dinner and drink an Emergen-C and do a show.  It got me through.

That's when I fell in love with couch napping.  Its hard for me to turn my brain off completely if I know I don't have at LEAST an hour and a half to devote entirely to sleeping AND a cusion of another 30 min in case I oversleep.  Couch napping allows me to feel like I can go ahead and go to sleep, because couches are usually in a pretty public place--meaning that if something happens and I sleep too long--someone will probably get me up.  In the same breath, the general noise in a more traffic heavy area (like a living room) keeps me from falling into too deep a sleep and missing something important.  I still get to rest, but don't have time to go to funky dreamland--which I visit frequently.  Also, if I am only sleeping for a short amount of time, I actually prefer to sleep in a sunlit room, or at least a diluted sunlit room (napping on a cloudy day is my favorite).  Of course, the quality of the couch is important too.  We have two couches in our home.  A tan sectional and a blue Lazy Boy.  I would NEVER nap on the tan couch.  It's not deep enough.  But the Lazy Boy....hmmmmmm.  Happiness.  I can't  count the number of naps I have taken on that couch.  I love it.  Its perfect for my height, deep enough, cushy.  Love.  (Note: this whole paragraph could apply to a particularly comfy reclining chair I'm told...)

I know that for those of you who don't comfortably fit on a couch (ahem..my 6'4" husband), my argument of the benefits of couch napping may not apply.  Even I have been known to nap in my own bed.  Sunday afternoon napping (we are talking 2+ hours here), sick napping, mid-morning-because-I-had-a-late-show-and-I-am-inexplicably-exhausted-at-10:00am napping.  In each of these instances, though, I WANT to sleep for a long time.  I want as much darkness as possible, and I don't want to be aware of the outside world.  Most of the time, though, I just need a pick-me-up and a couch will leave me well rested, but not groggy.

Even as a Princess, I knew the benefits of a couch.
The prosecution rests. Let the bednappers state their case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment