Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the ariZoni awards

Okay, so about a week after my birthday, the ariZoni's were taking place in AZ.  The Zoni's are the az theatre scene's version of Broadway's Tony Awards.  (For my take on this last years Tony's...see here).

It's pretty much an excuse to dress up really fancy, and see all of your theatre friends in one place.  The way it works is there is a board who split up and go see all the shows that are registered.  The shows are scored for everything imaginable...from best overall production to best hair and make-up design and everything in between.  There are tons of categories and its an honor to be nominated for one.

This year I got nominated for my first Zoni award for Best Actress in a Contracted Musical--The Light in the Piazza.  That was a pretty big deal for me because I loved that show, that role, and worked REALLY hard on it.   In addition to my nomination, the show was nominated for EVERY OTHER CATEGORY, except costumes (we rented them from the broadway tour) and choreography (there was no dancing).  So pretty much, we (the cast and crew) were really proud and excited about it.
"The Beauty Is"- Me and Nick Cartell


So on September 20, Jordan and I dressed up and went to the awards show.  I didn't win for best actress, but my amazing friend and costar in Piazza Jeannie Shubitz did (for another role she did this year).  She was incredible in Piazza and deserved to be recognized.  I was a little sad I didn't win, but really, really happy that Piazza did so well and that I got to dress up and be there to see it succeed.    Here is what the show won:



"Say it Somehow"-- Nick Cartell and I 


Best Supporting Actress: Janine Smith

Best Musical Direction: Alan Ruch

Best Scenic Design: Robert Kovach

Best Lighting Design: Michael Eddy

Best Sound Design: David Temby

Best Actor: Nick Cartell

Best Director: Karla Koskinen
Jeannie Shubitz and I
AND it won for BEST OVERALL MUSICAL PRODUCTION!!!!! Yay!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone who won a zoni and to everyone who was nominated!! So exciting!


1 comment: