Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Which side are you on?

No, this is NOT a political post.  Nor will it ever be (probably).


This is about something I have noticed about the marketing campaigns of the iPhone and the Droid.  Now, I don't have either one of these phones--mostly because I don't want to pay for the data package with verizon, and I HATE at&t.  Okay, maybe not hate, but before my husband was my husband, we were communicating for HOURS on the phone because I lived in New York and he lived in Las Vegas.  At that time, I was on AT&T and dropped, and I'm not exaggerating here, 97% of ALL my calls.  It was ridiculous.  Anyway, recently we made the switch to Verizon and got ourselves new phones, but not Droids.  Maybe someday.


I think that I would love and iPhone if it wasn't through AT&T, but alas, that is not the case.  Why?  Because I LOVE apple products and especially my Mac.


All of this is to say that since I don't have either phone, I feel like I can give a fairly objective analysis of the Droid and iPhone's respective marketing campaigns.  


Eww.  I sound like I am writing a college application essay.  Really I just want to say that the iPhone's commercials are happy and fun and tell me the the iPhone will make my life a breeze.  I may even be able to find an app that can turn my food into gold, and wouldn't that just be fun?


The Droid, I'm pretty sure, is subliminally telling me that if I come over to the Dark Side, I can TAKE OVER THE WORLD.  


Yep.  I searched high and low for some commercials to post here, but couldn't find them.  But here are some pictures for your consideration:





Here we see the main logo and a picture of the apps for the iPhone. Who DOESN'T like rainbows?  I myself have loved them since my aunt let me play with a rainbow mobile in her room as a small child.  But I digress.






What is this? The eye of Mordor?  It is sucking me in!  Honestly, the commercial for the Droid is the biggest piece of evidence that the Droid is secretly from the Dark Side, luring you in until you no longer know who you are or what you stand for.  

Anyway, think about it.  Do you want to be happy and skip merrily through you day with the iPhone, or would you rather get a PhD in horribleness and control the world with your Droid?  I'll be honest....sometimes I look around at what is going on in the world and in this country and think (just like Neil Patrick Harris) "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it."

Oh, look, this post did turn political.  Oops.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kaitlyn, Kaitlyn....that was, dare I say, hysterical. I laughed out loud quite a few times. Jere kept asking me WHAT was possibly so funny. I see your point, the Droid does come across as rather dark. Well, whatever the case, I'm happy for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha--I'm glad you liked it! It's sad, but I have thought about this way too much. :)

    ReplyDelete