Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mind the Gap.....

So.....Jordan and I got the huge opportunity and blessing to be able to go on another amazing trip over Spring Break this year.  Last year, Jordan won the "argument" of where we would go when he took me on my dream trip to Italy, remember?  So, naturally, it was my turn to take Jordan on his dream vacation to the United Kingdom!!!!!  I've been planning this trip hastily since January, but it turned out amazing.  In Italy we only stayed in two cities and saw three.  In the UK, we upped the ante considerably, staying in 3 cities, and seeing a total of six.  It was busy.  It was crazy.  And it was AWESOME.  Over the next few posts, I'll share some of our best moments with the few of you who would actually like to see the pictures-- I will TRY to contain myself, but I'm liable to get carried away :)   So, here we go......

DAY 1-March 7
We left in the afternoon on Thursday and flew to Chicago.  We were excited because the layover was only 45 minutes.  Well, when your plane lands late, that excitement turns into terror and panic.  We ran "Home Alone" style to our next gate as they were calling our names to get on that international flight.  We didn't get to sit together while we flew across the pond, and by the time we got there the next morning, neither of us had slept much.  But I'm pretty sure I saw "Breaking Dawn Part II" multiple times on my tv screen in between doses.  Also, for all those planners out there--I had packed my carry-on with all my "overnight" supplies: contacts case, makeup remover, earplugs, melatonin, change of clothes...and it gets checked at the gate.  Le sigh.  At least I had my pillow in my purse.  (btw, is anyone humming "Run Run Rudolph" right now?  Yes?  Mission accomplished.)

DAY 2- March 8
We landed a little late into Heathrow (possibly our  the first plane's fault) and another round of anxiety began for me.  You see, in an attempt to plan all things and save as much money as possible, I had purchased our bus tickets to Bath ahead of time and the bus left an hour from when we landed.  I saw the customs line and I knew that was never going to happen.  Jordan found the patience within his own sleep deprived brain to give me a quick backrub and tell me the trip was not, in fact, ruined, and that it was all going to be okay eventually.  I was a little disappointed knowing that we would not get to the Roman Baths or my much anticipated high tea in the oh so fancy Pump Room.  But, we did get another bus ticket (at only a £5 charge to change our tickets!!!) and eventually wound up in Bath after a solid 24 hours of travel.
Tired, but almost there!!!!
After a shower and a change of clothes we went out to get dinner.  Our hotel could not have been more charming, as it was 5 georgian town homes converted into a lovely hotel--The Francis Hotel.  Highly recommended.




Our super chic room!!! I loved the color combinations.

Down the stairs.

You can kind of see the delineation of each house as the wallpaper changes down the hall.  Also, note the crooked door frames!!

Anyone else see the strange portrait nailed to the ceiling?  It did come in handy when our bodies woke us up at 4 am though.  Something to look at :)

Blessed bathroom.  That's wallpaper of the Roman Baths.


Super cute phone.

Exploring Bath for dinner.  We ended up at at Thai restaurant that was very yummy---but to be honest, I probably would have eaten pretty much anything at that point.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is just the first 2 days. Such an adventure already!!! Beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete