Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happenings and Happy Fourth!!

SO...I have found that there is a REASON that Jordan and I have gone to Logan for the last few years every summer.  You might be thinking--"Isn't it to perform with a great opera and musical theatre company?"  or "Don't you get to eat some of the best gnocchi outside of Italy there?"  The answer to both of those is a resounding yes, but we are forgetting that we go because it is TOO HOT HERE.  Yep.  I haven't experienced an Arizona summer in years, and let me tell you, it has been a rude awakening.  I do prefer the heat to the cold, and dryness to humidity, but I think the snowbirds have the right idea.  I mean, they ARE the product of years of wisdom.  If I had the opportunity to have two houses and skip this stifling heat, I would.  Utah Festival Opera:  PLEASE, hire us back next year!!  I am wasting away without your sensible 92 degree summers!!!

At any rate, I have managed to stay cool (for the most part--excluding this afternoon, as I write this blog) so far this summer by doing a few super fun things.

As many of you know, pie is one of my favorite things.  I LOVE pie.  So, I make it whenever there is a  semi-legitimate reason to do so.  Like, Father's Day.  We had two family gatherings--and three "dads" (I count Jordan anyway, as a future dad).  When you do the math, that equals THREE PIES!! YAY!!!!!

Clockwise from the top left: Cherry Streusel, Apple Streusel, and Frozen Key Lime.

This one takes forever, but its Jordan's fave, so I can suck it up :)
Jordan and I also got to spend a blessed weekend in Newport Beach, California.  Ah.  The beach.  It was a perfect 75 or so the whole time we were there and I was happy as a clam.



Then, it was July.  The fourth of July, to be exact.  The weather decided to celebrate the Independence of our wonderful country by being the MOST BEAUTIFUL DAY A PHOENIX JULY HAS EVER SEEN.  I'm serious.  We woke up to an overcast morning, where we joined Jordan's family for a fantastic breakfast outside.  Did I mention that it was about 77 degrees?? Just as we finished cleaning up breakfast, it rained.  Serious joy.  Then, we ate BBQ at my parents house and took a nap with the rainy day light flooding my bedroom.  Was the rain going to ruin the fireworks, you ask??  No, silly.  It cleared up before the Diamondbacks game, which we went to with my family.  My mom and sister Jocey made a rad sign that made it on the Jumbotron, the tv broadcast, AND Mark Grace read the sign on air and commented.  It was super fun, and we got amazing views of some fireworks right outside the ballpark.  Also, the firework setting on the camera worked like a champ.  Bam.













Oh yeah.  And there was more pie :)








4 comments:

  1. Who knew you were such a brilliant pie maker. That keylime was absolutely beautiful looking. You go girl! Sounds like you had a fun 4th. LOVE the fireworks shots, so pretty. And finally, I too wondered why you might give up a summer in Logan to stay here in hells kitchen. Glad you're here, but I feel your heat pain. So good to see you kids the other night. PLEASE come over Wednesday for SYTYCD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting!! It was great to see you and I am planning on coming with or without Jordan on Wednesday. Also--I think we can come to your show on the 20th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh it looks like that keylime was a direct descendent of the Perfect Pie. And we are so jealous of the baseball game. Geeze I need to post again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you do need to repost--I would love to see some actual pictures of your new place and Florida!!! There is really no excuse (except for your children and a job taking up probably all of your time). Job, schmob. I need some pictures.

    ReplyDelete